By Mark S. Humayun, James D. Weiland, Gerald Chader, Elias Greenbaum
Artificial sight is a frontier sector of modern ophthalmology combining the multidisciplinary skills of surgical ophthalmology, biomedical engineering, organic physics, and psychophysical checking out. Many medical, engineering, and surgical demanding situations has to be surmounted ahead of frequent useful functions will be discovered. The target of Artificial Sight is to summarize the state of the art examine during this fascinating sector, and to explain the various current approaches and projects which can support sufferers in a scientific atmosphere.
The Editors are energetic researchers within the fields of man-made sight, biomedical engineering and organic physics. they've got bought various specialist awards and popularity for his or her paintings. the synthetic sight crew on the Doheny Eye Institute, led via Dr. Mark Humayun, is an international chief during this region of biomedical engineering and medical research.
- Introduces and assesses the cutting-edge for a huge viewers of biomedical engineers, biophysicists, and medical researchers
- Describes advances in microelectronics, microfabrication, surgical implantation, and psychophysical checking out of visible prostheses
- Outlines the promise of synthetic sight and the demanding situations that has to be met
Read or Download Artificial Sight: Basic Research, Biomedical Engineering, and Clinical Advances (Biological and Medical Physics, Biomedical Engineering) PDF
Similar ophthalmology books
An entire replace of a vintage reference through experts on the Mayo health center, Henderson's Orbital Tumors, Fourth variation collates the Clinic's fifty years' adventure in coping with tumors related to the orbit. Drawing on case reviews and large follow-up facts from over 1,700 sufferers handled on the medical institution, the authors formulate finished instructions on prognosis and scientific and surgical operation of the total spectrum of orbital tumors.
In contemporary a long time, the diagnosis of congenital glaucoma has thoroughly replaced. these days surgical effects are excellent and allow childrens with pediatric glaucoma to combine solely into society as adults. in accordance with the author’s cumulative event of greater than 50 years and 860 sufferers operated on for congenital glaucoma, this well-structured and lavishly illustrated textbook-atlas covers all facets of congenital and childish glaucoma.
This ebook offers an updated review of the medical purposes, tools, and applied sciences of teleophthalmology in the box of preventive drugs. the facility of novel how to discover the preliminary symptoms of neurodegenerative illnesses at the foundation of changes within the retina is reviewed, and distinct cognizance is paid to the function of teleophthalmology in screening for vision-threatening ailments comparable to diabetic retinopathy, glaucoma, and age-related macular degeneration.
Written via recognized leaders in ophthalmic ultrasonography, this quantity is an entire consultant to using ultrasound as a chief diagnostic software in ophthalmology. This completely revised moment version displays the newest advancements in third-dimensional ultrasound and different complicated applied sciences and the increasing medical position of ultrasound, together with its use in refractive surgical procedure, post-LASIK assessment, and neuro-ophthalmology.
- Corneal Surgery: Essential Techniques
- Evoked Potential Manual: A Practical Guide to Clinical Applications
- 27-Gauge Vitrectomy: Minimal Sclerotomies for Maximal Results
- Advances in Understanding Mechanisms and Treatment of Infantile Forms of Nystagmus
- LASIK (Laser in Situ Keratomileusis): Fundamentals, Surgical Techniques, and Complications (Refractive Surgery, 1)
- Small-Gauge Vitrectomy for Diabetic Retinopathy
Extra resources for Artificial Sight: Basic Research, Biomedical Engineering, and Clinical Advances (Biological and Medical Physics, Biomedical Engineering)
Tissue glues are usually used for creating an adhesion between different parts of a tissue or between two different tissues and usually disintegrate with time, whereas glues used for retinal prosthesis should have an adhesive effect on both the retina and the array, and should remain stable for years. A study using dissected rabbit retina demonstrated that hydrogels have from 2 to 39 times greater adhesive force than commercial fibrin sealant, autologous fibrin, Cell-Tak, or photocurable glues .
3. Further contribution to the origin of the EER. Invest Ophthalmol Vis Sci 1970; 9(10):814–9. 28 Ameri et al. 41. Potts AM, Inoue J, Buffum D. The electrically evoked response of the visual system (EER). Invest Ophthalmol Vis Sci 1968; 7(3):269–78. 42. Kato S, Saito M, Tanino T. Response of the visual system evoked by an alternating current. Med Biol Eng Comput 1983; 21(1):47–50. 43. , Dagnelie G, et al. Visual perception elicited by electrical stimulation of retina in blind humans. Arch Ophthalmol 1996; 114(1):40–6.
A partial vitrectomy may be done to reduce the pressure from the eye before cutting the choroid, since the retina is a very delicate tissue and can easily tear either during the choroidal incision or at the time of insertion of the array. As an alternative to a partial vitrectomy, some fluid can be withdrawn from the anterior chamber to soften the eye. Also, either some fluids or viscoelastic material (a jelly-like material used especially during cataract surgery to maintain the shape of the eye and to protect the cornea) can be injected under the retina, via the choroid immediately before or after the choroidal incision to separate the retina from the choroid and reduce the chance of retinal tear.